One of the most basic and the most important tools in the kitchen are not knives; it’s the chopping boards that the knives are used on. A good cutting board ensures you have your veggies and herbs chopped in just the right sizes, an important step in getting the cook right. But there’s more to a cutting board! You can put it to several uses like presenting your delish food and more. Read on to find out.
But Where Did Cutting Boards Come From?
Cutting boards most likely evolved from a simple wooden slab used by the earliest humans to chop game and hard roots. They’ve come far enough to be the kitchen essential we can’t do without today. We usually use them as vegetable cutting boards but the first chopping boards were actually meat cutting wood blocks used in China. Brought to Europe sometime in the 14th century, chopping boards quickly became popular, moving to other countries with immigrants.
What made cutting boards popular?
Kept the kitchen clean: The primary reason for cutting boards becoming popular was that they promoted cleanliness in the kitchen. Waxed pine or beechwood cutting boards helped to keep food uncontaminated. Wooden cutting blocks, often used by butchers also did the same job.
Kept work area organized: With the help of a meat cutting board or a vegetable cutting board, there were fewer chances of scraps spreading around the kitchen or the cooking area. You could use a wooden cutting block to do the job all in one place and make less of a mess!
Elevated the kitchen’s aesthetics: A great improvement on the simple wooden slab, chopping boards were easier to use and helped elevate a kitchen’s aesthetics. You will find vintage examples that are painted by hand or intricately carved. Cutting boards were often also used to serve foods like cheeses and fruit and beautifications helped present the food better.
Not just a chopping board!
A permanent fixture in the kitchen, cutting boards can play many roles in the household apart from being used as vegetable cutting boards and meat cutting boards. Here are some ways ellementry chopping boards can play many roles (and be a sustainable choice for your home) :
- A quality chopping board made of mango, teak or arjan wood works well as a charcuterie board, keeping your food safe and elevating the presentation. Pick from the Brawny Butcher Board, the Natural Wood Butcher Board or the Natural Duo Wood and Marble Boards.
- In the mood for a crunchy salad? Whip out one of our lightweight yet sturdy pieces like the Laimai Chopping Board, Chopncheese Acacia Wood Chopping Board or the dual purpose Chop & Crush cutting board with pestle that helps you crush your own spice mix for the salad!
- If you are planning to host an summery al fresco dinner, creating a fruit and cheese platter is sure to be a hit. All you need is your party group’s favorite cheeses and an ellementry cutting board to create a striking presentation. Pick from Laimai Paddle Chopping Board, Laimai Leaf Chopping Board or everyone’s favorite, our Round Wooden Chopping Board.
- Our cutting boards and butcher boards also help play up your home bakes and breads. Including them on your breakfast table as a bread board will help to pretty up the meal. Pick from our newest chopping range Laimai or the Leaf Mango Cheese/Bread Board to add to your table.
- We live in a highly visual world where clicking a pretty picture for the ‘gram’ is always on the cards. Pick a piece from Laimai, our newest and most loved collection, and create your own. And then go check out some more accessories to add to your tablescapes for some ‘extra’ charm.
- Decorating your living spaces? Add a chopping board or a butcher board from our collections to create a unique wall art.
Keeping your cutting boards clean
All ellementry cutting boards are made of either wood or marble, both sustainable materials, both really easy to clean. Wood and marble are high on food safety – neither allows bacteria to multiply. Use simple tap water and a mild detergent to keep your vegetable cutting boards and meat cutting boards clean. Once cleaned, store your cutting boards with our Zigzag Marble Chopping Board Stand. Avoid soaking them in water or using abrasive cleaners and you can enjoy your chopping boards for a long time.
Ready To Get Your New Favorite Chopping Board?
A product’s sustainability lies as much in the materials and processes used to make it, as in its multifunctionality. Our cutting boards pass with flying colors, being handmade in recyclable materials and happily playing many roles in your household. Ready to see what we’ve got in store for you? Click here.