We have been told all our lives that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The science behind this fact is that a good breakfast jumpstarts our metabolism and gets us ready for the rest of the day. Eating a full and healthy breakfast ensures that the body burns more calories throughout the day. However, most of us have a busy schedule and don’t mind skipping breakfast. It can be disastrous for our bodies in time.
Everyone should have a simple and healthy breakfast. Preparing for food the previous night is the right and a quick way to eat breakfast. Foods like oats and sprouts make for great breakfast foods because they can be prepared beforehand. Sprouts can make for an extremely nutritious breakfast, with less hassle.
Sprouts are very low in calories but are full of proteins. This is why many people regard them as excellent breakfast food. Not only are sprouts rich in protein, but also antioxidants, vitamins C and K, phosphorus, magnesium, and manganese. They can either be eaten raw or can be slightly cooked.
Some of the most popular options for sprouting are:
- Different kinds of pea such as green peas and snow peas.
- Different kinds of beans such as kidney beans, black beans, and mung beans.
- Grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, and buckwheat.
- Vegetables like beets, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and radish.
- Leafy greens like fenugreek, cress, mustard greens.
- Nuts such as almonds.
- Seeds such as sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, alfalfa seed, and sesame seeds.
Health benefits of eating sprouts
Eating sprouts can have a number of beneficial effects on health. Some of them are listed below:
- Sprouts have been observed to reduce blood sugar levels. There are several theories about why this works and how they are suitable for people with diabetes.
- Sprouts improve overall digestion. It is because sprouting increases the amount of available fiber for the body.
- Eating sprouts regularly improves the health of the heart. It reduces cholesterol levels and risks of heart disease.
- Sprouts can also improve blood circulation. This is because they contain copper which helps in maintaining a good red blood cell count. Good blood circulation also improves skin and hair health.
- Sprouting reduces the amount of gluten found in grains. It is very beneficial for people who are sensitive to gluten. Those with gluten sensitivity can eat very limited things but this is a great option for them to enjoy grains that they usually have to pass on.
- Aids weight loss because it is very low in calories. They make you feel full for a long time and inhibit the release of the hunger hormone known as ghrelin.
Tips to ensure sprouts are healthy and not harmful
Any raw food comes with the risk of contamination. In the case of sprouts, there are risks because warm conditions are needed for sprouting. However, there are some tips that you can follow to make sure that you are eating the right things and not something that can harm you. Here are some tips to help:
- Whenever you are purchasing sprouts from a supermarket, always buy fresh ones that have been approximately chilled.
- Sprouts can reveal whether they have probably been preserved. if they have a strong smell or a slimy appearance, they are spoiled. Always check for this before eating any sprouts.
- Always wash your hands before dealing with sprouts. You could be transferring bacteria from dirty hands to the sprouts.
- Always store it in a fridge at a temperature below 8°C to prevent spoilage.
Apart from breakfast, sprouts can be treated as a whole meal that can be had for lunch as well as dinner.
Sprouts are packed with nutrients and proteins. They are also extremely low in calories. Therefore, they are the perfect breakfast food as they supply tons of nutrition to the body at the start of the day. Most people start their day with healthy foods like oats or quinoa. Adding sprouts to the list can be a good idea, especially for people who are health conscious.
People who eat sprouts for breakfast continue to feel full for up to 5 hours, thus reducing the desire to snack. Less snacking also means less weight gain.
Few with sprouts
Here are some recipe ideas to incorporate spouts into any meal during the day::
Sprouts can be paired with anything to make a good salad. Use tomatoes, potatoes, cress, etc. along with some lime or some other dressing. You will have a healthy and delicious salad. Add some vegetables like carrot or beetroot and spices for more flavors. Depending on personal preferences, anything can be added to the salad.
Khichdi is popular in every Indian household for its simplicity. You can use spices and your choice of sprouts along with oats. In a wok heat some oil. Add mustard seeds and dried red chilies, till they sputter. Then add some onions or spring onion and sauté till soft and fragrant. Add in the sprouts and rolled oats. Add the water in which the oats were soaked. Then add spices according to preference and season with salt. Cook till the excess water disappears. Any vegetables of your choice can always be added to make it more nutritious.
Sautéed Mung Beans
This recipe can be used with any sprouts of choice. All that needs to be done is to lightly sauté the sprouts with mild spices or flavorings based on preference. Cook them for longer to make them mushier. Garnish with fresh parsley. Brussels sprouts are great for sautéing.
These recipe ideas will get you started on incorporating sprouts into your meals.