Human beings all over the world love to experiment. The taste of life becomes bland without experimentations and innovations. Life would halt if the world stopped experimenting with an urge to discover the unknown. Scientists experiment every hour for new inventions, doctors experiment with various medicines and new horizons of treatment, teachers experiment with new teaching techniques, and architects experiment with new models and designs of architecture.
Similarly, when a cook experiments with his culinary skills, he gives birth to fusion foods. Fusion food is a mixture of different culinary cultures around the world. It can be Indo-Western or a fusion of regional cuisines within a country. The food needs to excite our taste buds. Several restaurants in India and the world offer delicious fusion foods like Indo-Chinese, Indo-Mexican, Indo-African, or Afro-Chinese. Here we will talk about Indo-Japanese fusion food known as Rice Kheer Sushi.
The Rice Kheer Sushi is such a fusion food that binds together the culinary cultures of India and Japan. Before learning about Sushi, we should gather some knowledge about rice kheer and Sushi as different dishes.
Rice kheer is a traditional Indian dessert that is a must during most festivals and celebrations, be it puja or festivals. Rice kheer is also known as Payasam in South India and is made with milk, sugar, rice and cardamom powder. Rice kheer or rice payasam is sometimes made with jaggery, especially in the southern parts of India. Many people add dry fruits, nuts, and saffron to add taste to the authentic dish.
On the other hand, Sushi is an authentic Japanese dish prepared with vinegared rice, salt, and sugar. The sushi rice is accompanied by a variety of other items such as vegetables, fruits and seafood. Sushi can be both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Traditional Japanese Sushi is served with wasabi, soy sauce or pickled ginger, also known as gari. Sushi is prepared with crabs, squids, salmon, tuna, and many other fishes as well. Sushi means sour tasting, which comes from the fact that the rice is made using vinegar and has a sour taste.
The recipe of Rice Kheer Sushi
Here, we will provide the recipes of two variants of Rice Kheer Sushi. The first is Rice Kheer Sushi with chocolate wrap, and the other is rice kheer with fruit sushi rolls.
Ingredients of Rice Kheer Sushi with chocolate wrap: Our recipe will serve 8 people and will take 1 hour 35 minutes to prepare.
- 1 cup of basmati rice, which must be soaked
- 1.5-2 cups of sugar
- 2 litres of milk
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoon pistachios
- 4 tablespoon almonds or other dry fruits, which must be chopped
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoon rose petals
- 2 tablespoon rose water
- 300-400 grams of chocolate
- First, you must heat milk in a thick pan and boil it properly. A thick-bottomed pan is preferable so that the milk doesn’t burn at the bottom.
- The next step involves adding rice and sugar to the boiling milk. You must stir the milk occasionally so that the bottom does not burn. The kheer must be creamy, and the rice must be perfectly cooked.
- Next, you must add pistachios, almonds and other dry fruits and cook for another two to three minutes on low heat. It is a slow-cooked recipe and requires time and patience to attain perfection.
- The next step involves taking three bowls. Next, divide the rice kheer equally in the three bowls. Add cardamom powder in the first bowl, saffron in the second bowl, and rose water and rose petals in the third bowl. Mix the ingredients in the three bowls properly.
- Next, pour the rice kheer into separate silver foils and roll them into cylindrical shapes and put them in the freezer for a night.
- The next step involves melting the chocolate to make the sushi wrap.
- Once the kheer rolls have frozen, take them out of the freezer and coat them with the melted chocolate. Put the rolls back into the fridge to give them the desired shape.
- After the Rice Kheer Sushis are frozen, cut them in the shape of perfect Sushi.
- You can garnish your Rice Kheer Sushis with dry fruits and rose petals.
Fusion recipes can turn out to be delicious and lip-smacking if appropriately cooked with proper ingredients. Fusion food brings together two entirely different cultures under one roof. At Ellementry, we provide you with the best fusion food recipes that will combine the best flavours and ingredients. Rice Kheer Sushi is one such dish that brings India and Japan under one roof. It is not only the perfect amalgamation of both worlds but an ideal recipe to be relished for a long time.
Serve this Rice Kheer Sushi in the beautifully carved wooden platters ordered online from Ellementry to impress your guests!